• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Usurpine

tools for dummies

Question

Just to make some things clear:

I am using the old ComputerCraft for quite a long time and i love my turtles.

For me it looks that robots can do mostly the same, but better, so i am very interesting in using robots.

I hate Linux. I am not a Programmer, i dont want to write Librarys, i want it simple but useful.

It took me a very long time to find the right tools and basic software to run my turtles, basically i am using 90% only three to four programms, its a quarry program which can dig downward also upwards  and you can give lenghts, with and height  and is much more efficient than the excavation program because it is not mining noise blocks, then i have a getlava program to fill up the turtle with Lava then i have a stairs and Basic shape program plus some tiny Little Tools to dig and farm. And i have a swarm setup with a MasterTurtle and several SlaveTurtles which is awsome. With These tools i can also bring back turtles using wireless Modems, find their position and have statistics on my home Computer which is inside my base.

I can use this programs for much more then someone would expect, eg. i can use the getlava program to build bridges and also to bring back lost turtles who are stuck deep inside Lava.

I also like the very simple features turtles can do by default, like go back 5, go up 20 etc.which makes it easy to handle them remote and use them fast in any situations (i also like to use them in fights with big mops, i can place 9 of them very quickly and then i use them to defend myself and much more).

So basically i am totally not interested in writing programs or even libraries although i know a Little lua and i can handle Linux to get stuff done or LITTLE bit modify some programms so they do what i want BUT i really hate to do that. Its hard work for me, makes be bleeding my eyes and i definitly dont want to do that, really.

So what i am looking for is this "set" of programs, easy and variable to use.

The oppm packages dont fit to me, too. Too complicated, i tried some of the mostly useless programms there (who Needs a paint program ? and most of them just Crash after a while, sorry to say that. It Looks very similar to Linux package installer, and i really dont like that. Its not easy and simpel.

Most tutorials are about making the Computers etc, which was no problem at all to me. This all is quite clear, but all i was able to do was just make a Tier 3 Robot with all nice stuff inside and put a dig pogram on it and let him swing my atomic disassembler dig or place a block and this was the first moment, i really liked to work with robots, but now am stuck with that.

I would like to get some help in how to convert those nice turtle Programs into Robot programs.

I easily find tons of turtle programs on pastebin or other sites, but where are the Robot programs ?

Its both lua, i do understand lua basically but i really feel lost, when it comes to write Long programs with 200 and more rows with 100 letters every row   .. it makes me headache and i feel my brain will explode.

/edit: i was looking deeper into the dig program from kenny which i was able to use.

Although its quite a nice work done by kenny, this program is way beyond the possibilities my quarry program i am using for quite a long time on my turtles. And if i look into his script i see a lot of functions which redefine the commands (reinvent the wheel again) which are not given by default.

So imho i see that kenny did a good job with doing this. But this should be there by default. I am totally helpless if not kenny alreay did it nicely.

But i want even better, because my turtle is doing better.

So please help ! ;)

Dont even try to help me programming this by myself, i dont really want reinvent the wheel. This should be done by people who like to write software and work with Linux.

You think this is possible ? write email to usurpine@kmwpc.franken.de Thank you very much.

3 answers to this question

Interesting way of playing OC: combine the work of others. ;)

Sadly OC isn't yet that popular as CC is, so the amount of code you can simply download is limited, however the influence of CC on OC is strong, so most turtle programs can be easily converted to robot code. It should even be possible to write a simple wrapper for the CC functions that remap them to OC robot functions.

Maybe a project for someone with some time on his or her hands. ;)