• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
SubhumanPotato

How to implement IPv4 using modem.

Question

I'm new to OC after using CC for quite a while but got frustrated by a few things. I like OC and the freedom it gives. I want to implement IPv4, TCP and something like HTTP, the last two are easy after adding the lower layer parts of the Internet but I've gotten stuck on the first one. I've made a router bios that gives a computer an IP and puts the network card address into its ARP table when it asks for an IP but I'm note sure how to recreate a wider Internet, as well as integrating these things into the computer naturally, how does another program utilize the the router, how will other programs know who the router is? And so on.

Any help is appreciated. 

4 answers to this question

Not sure it it helps you, but I do have a sort of DNS server (and client api) in the making and mostly finished. Basically a computer which holds a table of ip-hardware address pairs in a table. To which other computers can add or ask values via network messages. You can find it from my github: https://github.com/SpaceBeeGaming/OC-DNS It doesn't have any documentation or testing done yet (I will get to it soon). 

IP is a fairly complicated protocol - for good reasons, but OC handles a lot of stuff for you. If you want IP, I'd consider the network loot disk, though I'm not sure how well it works nowadays. If you're still set on implementing IPv4, I'd you'll need to look at the RFCs for IPv4 and TCP.

I'd instead consider Minitel, given it has both something like TCP and HTTP (more like Gopher but whatever), as well as a reasonable routing system, but I suppose I am biased.

I'm with Izaya on this. If you want to make IPv4 then the Network look disk is a good place to start. Last I checked it still runs great. Its got ARP, TCP, and UDP but a higher IP addressing layer is not included with the stack. To get an idea of how to incorporate IPv4 take a look a @Magik6k Plan9k OS on github. If you like stuff that just works check out Minitel, it's very handy :)