• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
The Simon

Power Saving

Question

Hi!

Been working on a Control Station for my Robot. It has most of the essential features done; movements, scanning, interactions, etc. But I have reached a stage when it's mostly optimizations which are left to do, one of them is power usage. The Robot has a battery tier 3 upgrade installed, but as it is now it can still only run for about 20 minutes before it runs out of power and shuts down. This is not ideal due to not be able to remotely turning on a computer directly and needs either a Player or other Robot interaction to turn it back on again.

Components are a good culprit in this, and can easily be turned off until needed. Signals can be compressed, interactions can be guessed. But as far as software and such I am at a loss. Any suggestion I could use to extend the battery life of my Robot would be great.

Things I have learned about power usage is that os.sleep() reduce power usage during the specified time. Each new character on a screen increases power usage, so it should be turned off when not in use. Signals to the Robot doesn't seem to use power (Linking Card), but signals from the Robot does use power as expected. Coroutines also increase power as expected but reduce the number of available resources inside the computer until the function has finished.

1 answer to this question

The linked card is one of the most expensive components next to the geolyzer when it comes to energy. Coroutines are actually really efficient because all other forms i.e loops are a "busy" waiting and thus consume power running functions, evaluating... os.sleep is essentially coroutines.yield. As for remote booting you should see the doc on modem.setWakeMessage