• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
asie

pngview - High-resolution .PNG viewer in OpenComputers

Those of you who have followed my OpenComputers work might be aware of CTIF, my high-quality image converter for OpenComputers. However, it has always required an external converter to pre-process image files. Others may be aware of greaser's ocpng, an utility-turned-library for displaying regular PNG files without pre-processing - however, that capped out at 160x50 as it only used low-resolution characters.

However, I am proud to present pngview - a .PNG viewer right in OpenComputers, based off greaser's ocpng library but capable of displaying images at up to 320x200. Unfortunately, it does not display images as well as CTIF - it has far more severe limitations related to being a simple Lua script that, as such, cannot perform calculations that complex. In particular, it handles slowly changing gradients a lot worse and is incapable of finding additional colors to supplement the image's palette the way CTIF does.

bWAR

Comparison: the top image is viewed via pngview, the bottom image is rendered via CTIF.

Known issues:

• Currently, it only works on Tier 3, as the palette calculation process relies primarily on the 240 RGB colors exclusive to it.
  • It does not perform any image scaling, so ~320x200 is the maximum image size (on Tier 3).

Downloads:

pngview is part of a Lua script collection called octagon.