• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Molinko

Help hijacking initial shell window.

Question

Hello, and thank you in advance.

I'm building a windowing system for OpenOS and was wondering if somebody could help me understand OpenOS's tty system? Basically I would like some tips for hijacking the initial terminal window. My plan is to put the terminals 'viewport' into a window and any subsequent processes into their respective windows. Any tips on the 'best' or 'appropriate' way to claim control of the shell window specifically would be greatly appreciated. :) 

Please ask any questions if I wasn't clear.

Cheers!   - Molinko

4 answers to this question

@BrisingrAerowing I have seen it. It's quite nice :). I've had a hard time just understanding the way the shell and tty work together... Specifically viewports(windows? :blink:)... Would I be right in saying that in @Dustpuppy's version he is doing all the drawing to the screen himself? I'm having a hard time... lol

What I really want to do is intercept the gpu I think.. Id like to have new processes get their own window, under my control. Including the shell. Is there a way to bind the terminal to a fake gpu proxy? Perhaps I can mock(intercept) the gpu proxy and redirect stdout to my drawbuffer.. Am I even close to something that sounds reasonable? First time shell/window programmer here. I don't really no jacksh*t about OS's.. Thanks for your help.