• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
gamax92

[MC1.7.10-1.10.2][OC1.6] Thistle, a 6502 based architecture for OpenComputers

Just got finished implementing and testing all the various features for my architecture I've called Thistle

Thistle is a 6502 based architecture for OpenComputers

• Fully persistable
  • Supports up to 256MB of memory via memory mapping
  • Built in VT100 like terminal and keyboard input
  • Built in DMA Engine
  • Built in EEPROM (soon to have built in assembler (and network booting hopefully))
  • Component and Signal interface via TSF Serialization
  • Supports booting programs off Managed Filesystems and Unmanaged drives
  • API to allow others to create 6502 friendly mappings of components

Various documentation is available on the GitHub wiki

Downloads

Source: https://github.com/gamax92/Thistle

Releases: https://github.com/gamax92/Thistle/releases

(The 1.9.4 release will also work with 1.10.2)

Released Thistle v1.0.4, containing some important bug fixes to the boot rom:

• Fixed an off by three corruption issue (TSF tag ID and length) when listing components, only the first listed address was stored properly
  • UUIDs now have dashes in the correct spot (visual bug only, did not break anything)
  • Booting from a filesystem now no longer reads too much data into memory (minor bug, did not break anything)

Jars have been uploaded to GitHub release's page, you may also manually download and flash the new rom with openos's flash command.

Released Thistle v1.1.0, with many bug fixes and changes:

• CPU core is now a 65C02! While the "illegal opcodes" are safe on a real 65C02, do not use the ones in Thistle as they are reserved
  • BootROM has been ported to ca65 syntax, files for ca65/cc65 have been added to the repository
  • Component List command now accepts (no input) as list everything, and (number) as component select
  • Built in terminal now uses minecraft's wool colors instead of standard terminal colors

Jars have been uploaded to GitHub's Releases page, a more detailed Changelog is also available there.

Whoa! This mod looks great. I'm glad its for 1.7.10. There is certainly a destinctive lack of mods that simulate computers on their lowest levels. It is cool to think that as soon as I return from my vacation I will be able to install this mod and write code in assembly language (cuz i'm bad a lua lolz) to automate stuff. Keep up the good work, man. I will spread the word about your mod to my friends.

By the way, i hope you can make that assembler soon. Otherwise I can still assemble it online and take out the hex dump (machine code).

This mod adds a new architecture. Use the same items and blocks you use to build a regular Lua computer. Before you insert the processor, shift-click while holding it, until something like "65C02 Thistle" is printed to the chat. Then you can insert it into the computer.

I also think the mod adds an EEPROM, so don't forget to insert it.

So now, 2 years later, I'm actually learning 6502 assembly, and I have written a basic program to output text. I have a couple questions though, if you are available. I see you aren't active on the IRC, or I'm blind. I'm wondering, what all is the boot rom is looking for in filesystems to boot from? and is it expecting compiled machine code or assembly?

nice mod. but which tool do u use to compile? and if i try to use component access i got from my compiler (beebasm)

boot.asm:5: error: Unrecognised token.

.byte 10,5,0,"fill", 1, 1, 160, 50, " "

My code looks so:

org &0200

.start
	.byte 10,5,0,"fill", 1, 1, 160, 50, " "; uses the gpu fill method
.end

SAVE "Thistle", start, end

What do i wrong