• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
ATastyPeanut

Estimating Ticks Per Second

HI, so I've made two programs aimed at measuring server ticks per second (TPS).   One is as monitor based program and the other is designed to display on a T2 hologram.  The Github address are https://github.com/ATastyPeanut/OpenComputers-Minecraft-Lua/tree/master/Ticks-Second-Tools  the TPSBaseRaw can also be accessed from Pastebin at http://pastebin.com/t73SikXu  

Below is the standalone measure its name is OC-TPS-Check.lua

The bars change color based on what the estimated TPS is, a TPS of 10 and below is red, 10 and up is and increasing Hue.  

6ifiEoX.png

Below is the Hologram based Estimator its name is TPS-Holo-Display.lua  

The TPS number changes color the same as bars.  The Hologram also uses the .setRaw function which gets rid of the annoying redraw time.  (If you get an error about f not existing then you should check to make sure TPSBaseRaw is saved in the same folder and is named "TPSBaseRaw" with no file extension.

YapdWPJ.png

Hopefully someone else will find the tools useful, or learn a new way to do things from the code!  Thank you.

OC-TPS-Check.lua

TPS-Holo-Display.lua

TPSBaseRaw.txt

I'm unsure of its accuracy. Unfortunately, I have not had access to enough servers to do the accuracy tests under various load conditions.  The testing method used was TNT detonation; A large sum of TNT (>50k) was detonated, this caused a slow down to 1-2 TPS, from the servers nominal 20 TPS, which the monitor did correctly estimate.  The huge slow down from TNT proved the code worked, but was unable to provide more controlled scenarios.  Additional tests are needed for a consistent load where the server runs at 5-10, 10-15, and 15-20 TPS.  If you know of any servers that may work, I would love to come and test the code further. Either way, I hope the scripts helped you accomplish your project.

~A_Tasty_Peanut

You found a realy good method to measure the tps :)

I've tested it now on a server during a 5-10tps time and it showed the tps very acurately :)

The next step is now to include it in other programs and change the update time depending on tps. For that I've already modified your program. I removed all the fancy tps displaying stuff.

asdasd.PNG

You can see the program here and with "pastebin run -f ZbxDmMeC" it will automatically download it into /lib/tps.lua

On 4.1.2017 at 11:58 PM, ATastyPeanut said:

(If you get an error about f not existing then you should check to make sure tpsBaseRaw is saved in the same folder and is named "tpsBaseRaw" with no file extension.

I think I did it the right way. The tpsBaseRaw contains 73728 characters. So it seems to be complete. Do you know how to fix this?

I'm using a maxed out computer with level 2 hologram.

The normal version is awesome :)

Screenshot_11.png

3 hours ago, Nexarius said:

Its easy the program is looking for a file name "TPSBaseRaw" not "tpsBaseRaw" xDD

https://github.com/ATastyPeanut/OpenComputers-Minecraft-Lua/blob/master/Ticks-Second-Tools/TPS-Holo-Display.lua#L25

Thank you for catching this mistake, all the TPSBaseRaw filenames have been updated.

I have also been able to test on a new server, the data from those tests have helped identify additional intricacies with TPS estimation. Updates to the estimator and a new high-resolution display will be coming soon.