• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
pedrosgali

[OC1.2] Some tips on loading your own APIs

MOD NOTE: The information in this thread is for OC 1.2 which is now unsupported.

Okay, I don't know if anyone else has found this or if I'm just a being a noob but I had real trouble loading an API that I wrote for my networking program.

After a bit of head scratching I found a solution that worked and thought I'd post it here to hopefully save someone else that time.

I traditionally store APIs in a folder of the same name, and when calling them I found 2 things that you should know.

1)  The API should always be suffixed with .lua in the filesystem so my path would read:  c/API/myAPI.lua

2)  When you call the API you should drop that suffix eg:  

myAPI = require("c/API/myAPI")

As I said, I may be just a noob but that is the one major problem I have run into so far.

I hope this saves someone some time.

If you store your libraries in a standard location, such as /lib or /usr/lib (and probably /home/lib), they get loaded with a require("libraryName"), without the path.

To do this for /lib or /usr/lib, you will need to mount your own drive as root, since the default root file system is the rom which is read only.

If you store your libraries in a standard location, such as /lib or /usr/lib (and probably /home/lib), they get loaded with a require("libraryName"), without the path.

To do this for /lib or /usr/lib, you will need to mount your own drive as root, since the default root file system is the rom which is read only.

I should point out that in OC 1.3, the OS is mounted at root, but is installed on the HDD and is therefore fully editable =)

absolutely this.

as a standard, i say it's best to use /home/lib as your storage for any custom libraries, it does - as you suggest - allow the short-form loading, and ensures that your own libraries are separate from any you may download using oppm - which get put into /usr/lib - or from an OS reinstall, which could overwrite your /lib

similarly, putting all your own programs [i.e. non libraries] into /home/bin allows shell.execute(path) to find your files without qualification 

Yeah, I wrote this before openOS was installable. It was OC 1.2 or something, the /lib folder was read only.

*Edit: Can a moderator delete this thread as it is out of date and may cause confusion to some.

sorry, i wasn't commenting on your post really, i was adding to the previous 2 posts

it's a fair enough tip, you could edit the first post and just say pre 1.3, post 1.3 for some of it...

better to have the tip, than get rid all together :)