• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
maideniles

Help with colors in an Lua program

Question

Hi, All!  I'm brand new here, and I'm a complete beginner with Lua, so please bear with me.  :D  

My son and I are building an airport, and I, ever the overachiever, decided I want to make it fancy.  I am attempting to make screens that display flight information, similar to what you would see in an airport.  Here's an example of how I would like for it to appear:

Arrivals                                              --  ALL text would be white

Airline          Flight      Arriving From        Gate     Status   --  This line, the background would be dark blue

Delta            1427     Nashville, TN         B8       On Time  -- This line, the background would be blue 

Southwest     632      Phoenix, AZ           A5       Delayed  --  This line, the background would be light blue

I have the basic program written, and it works.  But it's so plain...it needs some flair! B)  

Unfortunately, the only way I can figure out how to add color to it is to change the foreground/background colors in the gpu. And that doesn't change line by line, just the whole thing... and it resets if the system is rebooted :(.

So, Here I am...Please help me make our Airport awesome!  

The code is basically like this, only the arrays are much bigger:  (And I apoligize for redundancy and/or noob mistakes in the code...As I said, I'm brand new to Lua.  Suggestions are welcome.  :)

math.randomseed(os.time())

Airline = {"Delta            ", "American Airlines", "Southwest        "}
Flight = math.random(100,2000)
Arrival = {"Nashville, TN ", "Chicago, IL  ", "Phoenix, AZ  ", "Dallas, TX   "}
Gate = {"A", "B"}
Number = math.random(1,8)
Time = math.random(0100,2400)
Status = {"  On Time", "Delayed ", "Cancelled"}

print("                    Arrivals                    ")

print(" ")

print(" Airline              Flight    Arriving From    Gate    Time    Status")

print(" ")
print(" " .. Airline[math.random(1,#Airline)] .. "     " .. Flight .. "     " .. Arrival[math.random(1,#Arrival)].. "      " .. Gate[math.random(1,#Gate)] .. Number .. "    " .. Time .. "      " .. Status[math.random(1,#Status)].. " ")

2 answers to this question

I have no idea how to implement color mid-print but color is achieved by these commands

EDIT: Remember that you have to do the gpu getting at the first lines of the program(before anything else happens in the code)

--Get GPU
local c = require("component")
local gpu = c.gpu
--Set Foreground(text color), or Background(Background color)
--Background color only changes for the places BEHIND THE TEXT PRINTED AFTER THIS
gpu.setForeground(0x444444) - set text to gray
gpu.setBackground(0x33DBFF) - set background to light blue
On 10/30/2016 at 11:27 AM, JuhaJGamer said:

I have no idea how to implement color mid-print but color is achieved by these commands

EDIT: Remember that you have to do the gpu getting at the first lines of the program(before anything else happens in the code)

--Get GPU
local c = require("component")
local gpu = c.gpu
--Set Foreground(text color), or Background(Background color)
--Background color only changes for the places BEHIND THE TEXT PRINTED AFTER THIS
gpu.setForeground(0x444444) - set text to gray
gpu.setBackground(0x33DBFF) - set background to light blue

This was my test result by changing the background color then writing the text, changing the cursor position, and repeating. I don't know exactly how you would go about this over the whole screen, but i hope this helps

local gpu = require("component").gpu
local term = require("term")
--cursor is already set a (1,1), no need to change anything if you don't want to
gpu.setBackground(0x003d99) -- example dark blue
term.write("Insert your stuff here, this is basically like the print function except no auto indenting!") -- color should be different BEHIND the text here
term.setCursor(1,3) -- Moves cursor down a bit
gpu.setBackground(0x005ce6) -- Normal Blue
term.write("yada yada") --only should be color behind the text
term.setCursor(1,4) -- this is what made mine connect for some reason
gpu.setBackground(0x66a3ff) --Lighter blue
term.write("You get the idea") -- only color behind the text

Hope this helps!

2016-12-28_21.36.20.png